Helping Same-Sex Couples Divorce

Divorce, dissolution of a civil union or domestic partnership for same-sex couples living in New York or New Jersey is possible, granted that certain conditions are met. At Hartstein & Hartstein, our Bergen County same-sex divorce attorneys learn about clients' unique situations and then collaborate with them to pursue the most efficient, reasonable legal outcome. We keep you in the loop; we use plain language. With more than 30 years of experience, we've found this to be the best approach for everyone involved in any divorce or separation.

We Guide Same-Sex Couples Through The Dissolution Of Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships And Marriages

New York and New Jersey have separate laws for dissolving a civil union, domestic partnership or marriage between two partners in a same-sex relationship. We guide couples from both states through the necessary procedures:

New Jersey: The overall process for ending a domestic partnership or civil union is the same as ending a marriage. It must go through a divorce process, which includes a one-year residency requirement. Of course, the processes do not fully parallel each other; there are some variances and complexities. This is why it's important to work with an attorney. Those variations include the reason for a dissolution, property considerations and determination of child custody, child support and visitation for any adopted children.

New York: Same-sex marriage is legal in New York, and the divorce process for gay and lesbian couples mirrors that of heterosexual couples. Since the two are not legally distinguished, spousal support, child support and custody, division of assets and other considerations can be managed through an uncontested divorce, mediation or trial.

Contact Our Experienced, Committed Same-Sex Divorce Lawyers

Whether you are dissolving your union or marriage in New Jersey or New York, we will help you through any complex scenario and clarify the dynamic legal considerations in your case, call us at 201-567-8781, send us an email or visit our office to receive a free consultation. Se habla español.